Tuesday, February 2, 2010

No PB&J for you!

So, Nate has a peanut allergy.

I was pretty bummed and actually a little angry at first (not sure what I was angry at ...). After digesting the info for a bit, I was fine. So many people are used to peanut and nut allergies these days. It's the egg, dairy or wheat allergies today that are the unknown ones that fewer people understand. So not too much is changing about how we eat or what Nate eats. I'm just checking packages for "May contain traces of peanuts" or "Processed on shared equipment with peanuts." Also, Nate won't get to eat Chinese take-out because it's generally all cooked in peanut oil. A lot of Asian foods are. We will learn. And we have an epi-pen for him now.

Nate really did like the few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches he ate before he started having the skin reactions (to where to PB touched his skin). Instead of making Nate eat almond butter, which has a very different taste and texture, I have found that sunflower seed butter has a very similar taste and texture to PB. I'm excited to bake some tasty treats with it too! So, peanut allergy, no big deal. And hey, maybe he'll outgrow it.

I'll leave you with a photo of Nate that we'll be sure to show to all of his girl- or boyfriends when he's in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment