Saturday, March 6, 2010

Really? I'm THAT person?

When I was in college and I heard someone say "I wish I was back in high school" or something like that, I thought they were nuts. High school was nuts. So emotional! Everything was a huge deal and likely to be the end of the world. My Freshman and Sophomore years were fine and relatively uneventful. First kisses, first boyfriends, etc. Junior year stunk for me. Lots of pressure, some seasonal affective disorder (AKA depression), some drama with boyfriends and friends. Senior year was great.

So I got to college and never thought I would ever think "man I wish I could go back to high school."

Lately, however, I find myself wishing I could go back to some parts of it. Being an adult is hard sometimes! Selling houses, buying houses, finances, jobs, spouses, kids. They're all great but sometimes they're so complicated! Don't get me wrong, I love my new house, our finances are fine, I love my job, I love my wife and my son but that doesn't mean that sometimes life isn't hard. In high school the things that seemed so intense and serious were really not. I don't want to go back to high school with that high school brain. It might be fun to go back to the innocence of high school but with my adult mentality.

So I guess I've turned into the person saying "I wish I could go back to high school" with caveats. And it took 13 years.


I hope Nate's high school experience isn't quite as dramatic. I was having some blood drawn last week and the women drawing my blood were chuckling because one of their daughters (16 years old) had just broken up with a boyfriend and was crying and wouldn't eat and had to be picked up by her mom early from school because she couldn't be around him. Sounded familiar. But if Nate's high school years are as dramatic, I will do my best not to say stupid things like "but these are the best days of your life" and to be understanding and to remind him that everyone goes through high school and makes it out in the end.

2 comments:

  1. Awww. I know how you feel. I definitely don't wish I was back in high school but I do wish I was younger! The truth though is that I've never been happier in my life than I am right now. But there are days when I really feel the crushing weight of all the responsibility. But hey, at least now I can drink beer and stay up as late as I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, totally. It's not that I'm not happy with things it's just that sometimes it's all so complicated! :) Things were easier in high school. Or certainly in college, too.

    ReplyDelete