Thursday, February 10, 2011

Door number 4, please.

So after having a few days to digest things and to see how the options settle with us, I find myself looking forward to all the things I haven't been doing for the past 8 months because for half the month I might be pregnant. Like drinking 2 cups of coffee in the morning instead of tea or a cup of decaf. Or drinking a glass of wine with dinner and not feeling guilty because I might be pregnant (even though it's likely fine anyway). Or getting a 15-minute chair massage at work because they're not supposed to do massages for pregnant women in their first trimester.

I think we've decided that option #4 (enjoy our one son and get on with our lives) is probably the right one for us right now. We're not even going to bother with the testing. In 6 months or a year, if we want, maybe we'll reevaluate and if we feel like we're missing something, there's nothing stopping us from trying some more.

I'm really happy with the thought of our family the way it is. Sure, it would be nice maybe to have a girl, but girls are problems. They can get pregnant! ;) And I don't really feel this burning need for another child. It would be nice, sure, and certainly it's something we wanted because we tried but I'm feeling perfectly satisfied with the one.

I think the only thing bumming me out a little is not getting to be pregnant again. I really liked being pregnant! :) Even gaining 55 pounds and morning sickness and being swollen and getting kicked in the ribs. It was so much fun!

Jen wasn't feeling well today (a virus of some sort with chills, fever, aches, etc) and Nate was so sweet. At one point we called him doctor Nate and then he said he wanted to be a doctor. What a sweet child we have. If he sucked, we'd definitely have another, but I think we'll keep him. :D

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, you still have time to change your mind at some point and it won't be by mistake! LOL Having an only child can be a great thing, for him and for you guys. My Ben was an only child for 12 years before my little oopsie with Faith (not that I regret it, love her to death) and I had no intent for more. You'll have more money, time, love, attention, and portability - it's easier to travel and easier to have someone watch one child to get some private time for you and Jen. One word of advice is to make sure you give him chores and hold him accountable, while he is still little and always. I spoiled Ben rotten without realizing it because with one child it's often just easier to do it yourself, but DON'T! Nate rocks!

    ReplyDelete