Sunday, April 29, 2012

Ew, that smells gross.

Along with pregnancy can come a really useful useless superpower.  The super sense of smell!

But it doesn't seem to work for everything.  I still can't smell the litter box down in the basement when Jen claims she can.  But I can smell the disgusting deodorizer the steam cleaner used when he recently cleaned our living room couch.  And cat food! BLECH. Normally it doesn't bother me.

I don't think it's so much that my sense of smell is any better, I think it's just that scents that are usually background smells that don't make much of an impression suddenly do.

When I was pregnant with Nate, Jen once came home to find a plug-in air freshener, which had been in our living room, out in the entry way.  I may have thrown it there.

This time it's perfumey fragrances again but also the cat food.  And one night a couple weeks ago the smell of fresh bread combined with being a little hungry as I tried to fall asleep made it nearly impossible for me to actually fall asleep.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant now, so I'm hoping that the feeling sick and super sense of smell will start to diminish.  I cannot complain at all because I still haven't had to vomit and I don't feel too sick most of the time. And I've found that sparkling beverages are a pretty good cure for me.  So I'm drinking a lot of soda water. :) But it will be nice to not feel sick at all.

On another note, I finally had a totally sciatica pain-free day yesterday! I realized as I was doing my Saturday morning yoga class that the few poses that used to bug me were no longer painful! VERY exciting.  It's been nearly a year since the pain started.

Tuesday we have a 12-week ultrasound.  This baby is already more well photographed than Nate was and we still get the 18- or 20-week ultrasound as well.  That'll be the one when we find out if it's a boy or a girl, so you have to wait longer.   We've started talking about some names but aren't going to really start fighting over our favorites until we know.  It'll make it easier to settle on a few then.

2 comments:

  1. Just please tell me that you aren't one of those people who want to wait until the birth to find out if it's a boy or girl. I need to know!!!!! Congratulations on getting through the 1st trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't find out with Nate. :P But we will find out this time around.

    ReplyDelete